I’m always looking for healthier ways to prepare some of my favorite foods. Crab cakes are a summer staple, but you need to proceed with caution when ordering from a restaurant since preparations can vary so greatly and seemingly small nuances including full fat mayonnaise and deep frying can quickly pack on calories. Below is a crab cake dish I came across last April in Cooking Light magazine. I love making them because although it sounds like a daunting kitchen endeavor, this is not at all the case and I can tell you many reasons why you should go make it right now: It takes less than 30 minutes including prep and cooking, it looks quite impressive on a plate if you have guests over for dinner, it’s light and fresh yet very filling to eat for a dinner dish, then you always have leftovers for lunch the next day (they are just as delicious served cold!)
Check it out below and let me know what you think.
- 2 tbls finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbls chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tbls light mayonnaise (obviously Hellmann’s)
- 1/2 tspn grated lemon rind
- 1 tbspn fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tspn black pepper
- 1/8 tspn ground red pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup panko
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
- 1 tbls olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup Hellmann’s Light
- 1 tblsp chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 tbls capers, drained and chopped
- 2 tspn Dijon mustard
- 1 tspn fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tspn ground red pepper
- 1/8 tspn kosher salt
- To prepare crab cakes, combine first 8 ingredients. Add panko and crab, tossing gently to combine.
- Gently pat crab cake mixture into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Repeat procedure with remaining crab mixture, forming 8 cakes.
- Heat Olive Oil Pam spray in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 crab cakes to pan; cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn cakes; cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden and crab cakes are thoroughly heated. Remove cakes from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan dry with paper towels. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 crab cakes.
- To prepare rémoulade, combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Serve with crab cakes.